American Institute of Indian Studies
Since 1961, American knowledge of India has been shaped by the American Institute of Indian Studies. With offices and research centers in the United States and India, research centers at its campus in Gurgaon, and a centrally located office in Delhi, the Institute:
- provides research fellowship support for scholars, Ph.D .candidates and artists
- offers training in Indian languages where they are spoken
- extends knowledge of Indian culture through its two research centers, the Center for Art & Archaeology and the Archives and Research Center for Ethnomusicology
- supports book publications and articles about India
In addition to the many thousands of books and articles published elsewhere by AIIS scholars, more than 70 volumes have been published directly by the Institute. These include the results of AIIS conferences surveying large fields of research, collections of work by scholars closely connected to the Institute, and products of the two research centers. Sample titles:
- The Encyclopaedia of Indian Philosophies, ed. By Karl H. Potter, 1983
- The Encyclopaedia of Indian Temple Architecture 14 volumes, 8 text & plates by various authors.
- India and America: American Publishing on India, 1930-1985, ed. By N.G. Barrier, 1986
- American Studies in the Anthropology of India, ed. By Sylvia Vatuk, 1978.
- Harappan Civilization, ed. By Gregory Possehl.
- India and Indology: A Collection of Essays by W. Norman Brown, ed. By Rosane Rocher, 1978.
- Music of Bharat Natyam, by Jon Higgins, 1993
- Studies of South India: An Anthology of Recent Research and Scholarship, ed. by Robert Frykenberg and Pauline Kolenda, 1985.
- Aspects of India: Essays in Honor of Professor Edward C. Dimock, Jr., ed. by Margaret Case and N.G. Barrier, 1986.
The AIIS Publications Committee has recently begun a new series of AIIS publications in the US designed to facilitate the publication of first books by younger India specialists. Toward that end, the Institute will identify prize manuscripts and assist in their publication.